My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.theastromaidchronicles.com
and update your bookmarks.

Translate This!

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Ancient Cures, Modern Teas: Herbs in Peru

It's no secret that Peru is full of shamans, particularly in the Amazonian regions. People who have, for centuries if not thousands of years, guarded ancient secrets about the medicinal plants springing from this ultra-fertile land of healing.

Whether or not you believe in the healing power of shamans, there's a lot of information out there about the effects of these native plants.

Peruvian plants constitute a huge portion of the 'natural healing' market. And a quick browse through the dry tea section at ANY supermarket in Cusco offers a staggering array of options. Cat's claw, Hercampuri, Manayupa, Horse's Tail, Hierba Luisa, even the famous coca (the plant that cocaine is derived from).

Coca tea. But don't let the association scare you. Coca
tea has awesome benefits, even if it tastes exactly like grass.

That's just scratching the surface.

I became interested in Peruvian herbals when I was at the market one day and thought, Hm, let's try a new tea. As I scanned each option and read the packaging about their intended uses, my jaw dropped lower and lower to the ground.

These teas help digestion. Altitude sickness (HELPFUL in these parts!). Urinary problems. Cysts. Kidney stones. Prostate function. And sometimes, they're touted to cure CANCER.

Impressive.

I started to buy these teas. To see what they were like mostly; not for any overarching prostate or cancer problems, don't worry. I figured that in this land of exquisite bio-diversity and ancient healing practices involving so many plants, I have to give these teas a whirl. Exportation of plant life from Peru is a little iffy sometimes, so who knows when I might have this chance again?

I went home with a pleasing variety of teas. Some were loose leaf; others in tea bags. Throughout the past few weeks, I've been trying these on occasion. Sometimes in conjunction with actual needs -- like maybe my digestion could use a sprucing up -- but most times just to replace my beloved coffee, which I have given up for a period of time.

Ahh, Peruvian teas! You harbinger of healing! You ancient window of wisdom! I drank them eagerly.

But the taste? Let me give you the executive summary: MOST TASTE LIKE ASS.

Manayupa is the one that has been the LEAST offensive to me so far. The package of my loose-leaf Manayupa herbs says, "Plant of the Andean Peruvians. Its name comes from the Quechua vocabulary "ranamanayupana" which means something like, 'the qualities are so numerous that man cannot count them'."

I drink this one a lot. It's great. It is helping me in ways that man cannot even count.

Hierba Luisa is also great. It's used, as most teas are, for digestive issues, but this herb also helps bad breath, and to control insomnia and stress.

And according to this picture, scrubbing your teeth with
the leaves helps prevent cavities. The benefits never stop.
[Photo credit: www.jorgevaleranatura.com]

I'll admit that my problem revolves around memory. I'll fill a cup to steep, get involved in something else, and remember a half hour later that I had made a tea. (God, who DOESN'T have this problem?!) Everyone knows that over-steeping leads to bitterness. But with most regular teas, over-steeping isn't a deal breaker.

Well, over-steeping Peruvian teas is a BIG no-no I've come to find out. I just had some over-steeped Agracejo with Alcachofa, which is used for upset stomachs, liver inflammation and gallbladder problems. It's also helpful for detoxing (which is why I thought to buy it), and the tea contains various vitamins, proteins, and minerals. SCORE!

I made the mistake of taking an enormous gulp of my then-tepid Agracejo tea. PANIC! It tasted awful, but I forced it down anyway. I didn't recover for a full ten minutes from that first try. And I did try to remind myself of all those vitamins, minerals and proteins I was ingesting. Somehow, it didn't help.

Hercampuri has to be my least favorite of all the teas I've had. I came to it when I was in need of a digestive reset after a particular weirdness in the ol' intestines. My digestion WAS reset -- but at the cost of extremely bitter and earthy tea. And that time, it WASN'T because I over-steeped.

Hercampuri. You're so beautiful, and such
a bitch to drink. [Photo: www.lamolina.net]

Peruvians are very proud of their natural medicines and long lineage of plant knowledge. I would be too, if I had such a cultural heritage. I've met plenty of Peruvians who refuse medication, and rely on herbs to cure any variety of illness and ailment.

That's been my game plan here, too. Luckily I haven't had any real ailments to cure, but when the time comes, I feel confident that the ancient wisdom of the Andean Peruvians will help guide me to wellness. And in the meantime, my gallbladder/kidneys/ovaries/intestines/liver/blood are going to mighty well taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment